DSMIG was established in 1996 by 17 paediatricians. It has grown to become a network of approximately 160 healthcare professionals from the UK, Republic of Ireland and further afield. Our aim is to help promote equitable provision of medical care for all people with Down syndrome in the UK and Ireland by disseminating a wide range of information about the medical aspects of the syndrome and promoting interest in its specialist management.
We are a registered charity and are the only organisation to provide this type of medical-specific service in the UK. We receive no statutory funding.
Our initiatives include
- This website providing healthcare professionals with a resource to help them access best evidence in healthcare of people with Down syndrome
- A personal medical advisory and information service for health professionals
- Development of guidelines for basic essential medical surveillance of individuals with Down syndrome.
- Researching and producing UK specific Down syndrome growth charts.
- Publication of a special Down syndrome insert for the parent-held personal child health record (PCHR)
- Producing a series of medical information leaflets for the Down’s Syndrome Association (DSA).
- Organisation of bi-annual scientific meetings: one in London and one at a regional venue.